We arrived here on 24th of October. Today is 25th November so we have been here a month. Time for an update 🙂
First let’s tick off stuff from last time:
- The UK business is still as it was, but our Canadian business is now incorporated and we have an accountant. Unfortunately the Canadian business was spelled wrong by our paralegal on some of the paperwork so hopefully he will correct that.
- We both have phone plans and I am now paying the princely sum of $8 a month so I can get caller ID. Ripoff or what?
- It was touch and go for a while but we did manage to get a car. A new Dodge Journey. We get winter tires fitted Dec 6th hopefully. Not something we had even thought of, we were actually looking at Fords, but they were they only people willing to get us financed along with our bank, Scotiabank. The loan is in Clare’s name because I, as yet, still don’t exist. We took my birth certificate in again to Service Canada to try and get a SIN and we will have to continue waiting. This car finance hopefully means we are starting to build a credit history for when we come to buy a house.
- The weather dipped to -30c for a week or so and we had a couple of nights of 15cm snow. At one point the media was telling us Calgary was the second coldest place on earth. Even with the cold, without wind or damp it doesn’t feel bad at all (unless you take your gloves off), in fact the sun can be really nice even when it is freezing at the same time. It’s now back up to a balmy 1c and feels really really warm in comparison. Possibly due to what I suspect is an oncoming Chinook. Thankfully the weather was clear the day the shipping container arrived.
- I still haven’t had a steak, haven’t found a decent curry, but I did manage to get a really nice Burrito (Mucho Burrito) 🙂
It’s starting to feel a lot like Christmas …